Articles related to the History of Malton
Malton was purchased from the Mississauga Indians for 8,500 British Pounds in 1818. This purchase was the second such purchase from Mississauga Indians and also included other parts of Peel (Caledon and Chiguacousy portion of Brampton), the Town of Gore, and parts of what is now Toronto, including Albion/Rexdale. The first settlers to Malton arrived in 1819 and had roots from England. Among the first settlers was Richard Halliday. Halliday is credited for naming Malton after his birthplace in Yorkshire, England (see www.
Location of Mississauga in Greater Toronto Area Locale Malton is a thriving area of Mississauga in Ontario, Canada - Mississauga being a “suburb” of Toronto, part of the Region of Peel, and in the Greater Toronto Area. Malton itself is located in the northwest part of Mississauga, bordered by CNR Rail tracks before Steels Ave. to the North, Highway 427 and Finch Ave. to the East, Derry Road to the South, and Catrick and Airport Roads to the West.
Malton Airport and Aviation
In 1937 the Port Authority of Toronto deemed Malton the most suitable local an airport. The Authority purchased severl lands on the south-west corner of Derry and Airport Roads for construction of the Airport. Malton was no longer just a small farming town, but a Town on the verge of playing a huge role in the age of aviation in Canada. Malton Airport (1937) Above: First Aircraft to Land at Malton Airport Aircraft Refueling at Malton Airport In 1939, The National Steel Car Company of Montreal opened an aircraft factory in Malton.
Public Schools Ridgewood Public School on Cambrett Street was opened in 1957 due to the influx of homes being built in the area. Marvin Heights Public School on Redstone Road was opened in 1964 when 150 homes were built in the Marven Heights are of Malton. Lincoln M. Alexander Secondary School Westwood Secondary School on Morning Star Drive East of Goreway was opened in 1968. This school is now known as Lincoln M.
The First Schools
Malton’s first school was built in 1828 and was made of log. A new brick school was built in 1858 at a different location and named Malton Public School. In 1923, the log school built in 1828 was torn down and a newer, more modern school was built. These schools were built on the Malton Town Site at Airport and Derry Roads. Malton Public School (1858 to 1923) Malton Public School (1923 to 1952) In the early 1940’s, Victory School was formed on Victoria Crescent and was closed in the 1960’s.
The Town of Malton
In 1854, a railroad line was put through Malton, boosting business as business centered around rail towns in tat time period. The line was known as the Grand Trunk Railroad and allowed for easier shipping of goods to and from Malton. This line quickly made Malton no longer a township but a town. Present Day Malton Town Site By 1858 roughly 500 people lived in Malton including a shoemaker, wagon maker, carriage maker, saddler and a blacksmith.
Timeline of Events
Year Event 1818 ‘Second Mississauga Purchase’ from Mississauga Indians including Malton was purchased from the Mississauga Indians for 8,500 British Pounds. 1819 First settlers arrive in Malton. Richard Halliday names Malton after his birthplace in Yorkshire, England. 1828 Malton’s first school was built and was made of log 1850 Malton now had a general store, a cobbler, a hotel, and a blacksmith.
Old Westwood Mall Logo The land where Westwood Mall currently lays was nothing more than farmland owned by the Shaw family until being sold to developers in 1954. Now, Westwood Mall is the heart of Malton with tourists regularly visiting for great deals and with the main bus stop where there is a 30 minute connection to the Toronto Subway line. Westwood Mall has undergone many transformations over the years.